Saturday, December 27, 2008

New Found Interest

I've read two books in the past two weeks (only 300 pages total). (I actually didn't realize I read them so quickly until I went to figure it out when writing this blog!) Jason challenged me to find reading a hobby and said that I had to find a book and at least read 30 pages to give it a fair chance. I have a ridiculously hard time finding books that keep me interested, so I was both excited and nervous. I went to the library and decided to check out the Young Adult Classics section of the library. I found Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and remember someone saying that this was a classic and a good read. I gave it a fair shot, but couldn't get past the way he over-describes EVERY single thing all the time - it was a bit much for me, so I gave it up after about 35 pages. I went back to the library for another try and found two books. I thought that if the first didn't work out that I'd be able to start another book without having to make so many trips to the library. Anyway, They both actually turned out to be good/descent books. Lilies of the Field by William E. Barrett and Go Ask Alice by an anonymous author.

Lilies of the Field is a book about an man who was just released from the army and decided to explore his new found freedom and travel the country. He ends up driving through Colorado and stumbles upon a few nuns working on building a church/school. The nuns believe God has sent him, but he's not so sure. He ends up being a big help and a legend in their town.

Go Ask Alice is a controversial book based in about the 60's-70's. It is a crazy up and down story (purposed real diary) of a 15-16 year old girl who comes from a good home, but gets messed up in drugs. It does have explicit lyrics and some other racy material and normally I wouldn't go for that, but I feel pretty naive about drugs and that whole messed up world, I thought it more of an educational element for me as a parent with children that will inevitably have to deal or be aware of SOME kind of drug related issue growing up, I feel better prepare. All in all, a very interesting read.

On to my next adventure...

3 comments:

Jared and Paige said...

You are such a good-regular-blog-poster. I love the Elf card, the book reviews (by the way, I have a ton of young adult books and quite a few reccomendations, if your interested), and the name game debate. I do have to agree that Lorraine (wait, was your version with two "r's") is beautiful. I like Jane too, but I agree that the sentimentality of Lorraine is really sweet.

aubreyannie said...

ooh, they both sound really good. are you on goodreads? i am loving goodreads because i can get recommendations from friends whose book opinions i trust.

Rachel said...

It was so fun to catch up on your blog since your haircut! Good for you to read 2 books! That is VERY impressive let me tell you! WOW! I love reading and read ALL the time before Calvin, but now I'm sad because I don't have much time! My husband got me a new book for my birthday I've been DYING to read, and it's now after Christmas and I'm not even 1/4th of the way through... sad... I also love your voting for Abigails middle name and I TOTALLY agree that giving your child a name to honor a family member is a wonderful idea so I support you!