Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Baby Update - 34 Weeks

Last Sunday I felt really weak and weird with pain at the top of my belly on the right. I thought maybe it was that I just hadn't been eating well and tried to just ignore it. Then Monday the pain went away and I started having a few contractions about 10-15 minutes apart. Tuesday was my regularly scheduled midwife appointment. I told her I about the pain and contractions and she said that it was probably due to my lack of vitamins and minerals. She then did the normal exam things: checking the baby's heartbeat, measuring my belly, etc. My midwife doesn't normally do a cervical exam, but chose to this time just to make sure my contractions hadn't changed my cervix at all. Well, actually they ARE changing my cervix! She then became pretty concerned because the pain and contractions I have been experiencing has started to soften my cervix and that I've dilated to 1cm already! 34 weeks is WAY too soon for me to have this kind of change.

I have been feeling extra tired lately and I continue to have painful contractions. My midwife and I never talked about bed rest, but I've just been trying to take it easy the last few days. Standing for long periods of time or moving around too fast tends to bring on contraction.

We did discuss the hypothetical situations relating to progressing this soon. She mentioned that there is a medication that I can take to help stop the contractions if I can't get them to stop on my own. If I can wait at LEAST until 36 weeks then I should have a normal healthy baby at Valley Hospital. If I can wait until at least 37 weeks, then I should be able to have a normal healthy baby at the birthing center that I have planned on. Let's hope that the baby and I can hold on for at least another few weeks with as little complications as possible!

5 comments:

Kari said...

Hang in there! Every day counts. Even delievering at 35 weeks was scary for me, there's something about 36 that sounded so much better to me. No matter what happens you are far enough along that she should be fine. I would recommend asking for the steriod shots to help develop her lungs. They have no bad effects on her, just help mature her lungs faster. I'll be praying for you!

Shinae said...

Thats gotta be a little bit scary!! Hope you hang in there and can wait...the longer, the better. :) Isn't this SO much fun???

aubreyannie said...

oh dear. that is not good..did this happen with the other two at all? take it easy, shauntel. and

p.s. the kids and i were in with loren on tuesday when you showed up and i had to go back and do a culture and was hoping to see you on our way out but you had already gone in with loren. :( i was totally bummed! my appointments are usually on tuesdays or wednesdays!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That's always a catch 22. Eager to have the baby OUT and not be pregnant anymore, but not wanting her to be unhealthy. Valley is a great hospital though, if it comes to that!

WASHINGTON PUCKETTS: said...

Let me know if you need help. We have spring break this week. I could come up and get some things done one day, if needed. Tomorrow i have Malaina's kids but I could do Thursday or Friday.